Total views : 35457
Subscription or Fee Access
Amelioration of Phenol Formaldehyde Adhesive With Silicic Acid for Application in Plywood
Phenol formaldehyde adhesive is used in laminated as well as composite panels due to its good adhesion, high polymeric strength and excellent stability. The purpose of present study was to prepare plywood of good shear strength using silicic acid (2,3 and 4%) in phenol formaldehyde adhesive. The effect of silicic acid on plywood was evaluated by testing glue shear strength (GSS) of plywood in dry and wet conditions. The mycological test was also conducted in plywood to test its efficacy against white rot fungus (Trametes versicolor). Results revealed that shear strength of plywood was increased by adding silicic acid (2 and 3%) in adhesive, whereas by increasing the concentration of silicic acid (4%) the glue shear strength was reduced but still met the requirement of shear strength as per IS: 848. It was found that glue failure percentagewas also reduced after adding silicic acid in PF adhesive.
Glue Shear Strength, Phenol Formaldehyde Adhesive, Pressing Time, Silicic Acid, Trametes versicolor.
- Anon. (1974). Specification for Synthetic Resin/Adhesives for Plywood (Phenolic and Aminoplastic).IS: 848.Bureau of Indian standards. 9, Bahadur Shah ZafarMarg, New Delhi, India
- Anon. (1983). Specification for the Methods of test for plywood.IS: 1734. Bureau of Indian standards. 9, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India
- Anon. (1989). Plywood for general purposes-specification.IS: 303. Bureau of Indian standards. 9, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India
- Anon. (2013a). Phenolic novalac and resol resins.http://www.plenco.com/phenolic-novolac-resol-resins.htm. Accessed on 20th April 2013
- Anon. (2013b). Silanes and Silicic Acid Esters in Coatings. Raw materials for resin. Smart formulating journal. http://www. smart formulating.com/sites/dc/Downloadcenter/Evonik/Product/SmartFormulating/SF_Journal_01_eng.pdf. Accessed on 20th Oct 2013
- Brockmann W., Gei P. L., Klingen J., Schroder D.(2009). Adhesive Bonding: Adhesives, Applications and Processes by WILEY- VCH verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinhein
- Burton P. J. and Deale B. P. J.(1996). Composite board. United States Patent 5569542
- Frihart R.C. and Hunt C.G. (2010). Wood Handbook, Chapter 10: 10-1-10-24. Adhesives with Wood Materials-Bond Formation and Performance. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-190. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
- Fraser D.A., Hall R.W. and Raum A.J.L. (1957). Journal of Applied Chemistry,7: 676
- Frihart C.R. (2005). Wood Adhesion and Adhesives USDA, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI. Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites: 216-273
- George C. (2009). Treatment of wood with polysilicic acid derived from sodium silicate for fungal decay protection. Wood and Fiber Science, 41(3): 220-228
- Kawamoto A.M., Pardini L.C., Diniz M.F., Lourenco V.L. and Takahashi M.F.K. (2010). Synthesis of a boron modified phenolic resin. J. Aerosp. Technol. Manag., Sao Jose dos Campos, 2(2): 169-182
- Kim S., Kim H.S., Kim H.J. and Yang H.S. (2008). Fast curing PF resin mixed with various resins and accelerators for building composite materials. Construction and building materials, 22(10):2141-2146
- Loth H., Schmidt O., Schmidt J., Beck H. and Sumser M.(2008). Silane-Crosslinking Adhesive, Sealant or Coating with a Silicic Acid Filler and Use Thereof, Patent application number: 20080245476
- Pizzi A.(2003). Phenolic Resin Adhesives. Handbook of adhesive technology, second edition by Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
- Piirlaid M., Matsi M., Kers J., Rohumaa A. and Meier (2012). Effect of birch veneer processing factors on adhesive bond shear strength.8th International DAAAM Baltic Conference "Industrial Engineering 19-21 April", Tallinn, Estonia.
- Wegemund B., Rhineland H., Tauber G. and Holthausen D. (1972). Adhesive composition containing a vinyl ester resin and an acrylic ester of tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol or dihy- drodicyclopentadienol. United States Patent Office 3, 660, 526 .Germany, assignors to Henkel & Cie Gm bH, Dusseldorf-Holthausen, Germany.
- There are currently no refbacks.