Open Access Subscription or Fee AccessTotal views : 353
Study on the Efficacy of Plant Growth Promoting Microbes on Seed Germination and Disease Control of Melia dubia in Nursery
An experiment was conducted to test the efficacy of different bio-fertilizers such as Arbuscular Mycorrhizal (AM) fungi and Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR)) individually and in combinations on seed germination and survival of seedlings of Melia dubia, an economically important fast growing native tree species against the plant pathogenic fungus, Fusarium oxysporum causing root rot disease in tree nurseries. It was observed that application of bio-fertilizers individually and in different combinations showed increased seed germination, better survival and growth of seedlings of M. dubia even in the presence of the root rot pathogen, F. oxysporum. Maximum percentage of seed germination was recorded in combined application of all four bio-fertilizers along with Fusarium in M. dubia. This was followed by dual application of AMF + Azoto + Fusarium.
AM Fungi, Azospirillum, Azotobacter, Phosphobacterium, Fusarium oxysporum, Melia dubia.
- Arya S. and Kaushik J.C. (2003). Evaluation of fungal and bacterial antagonists' seed treatment for controlling damping-off disease in forest nurseries. Pertanika J . Trop. Agric. Sci., 26(2): 115-121.
- Bagyaraj D.J. (1996). Mycorrhizal symbiosis in tropical trees in relation to control of root pathogens. pp. 239-245: In: Impact of diseases and insect pests in tropical forests. Nair K.S.S., Sharma J.K. and Varma R.V. (Eds.). Proc. IUFRO Symp. 23-26 November, 1993. Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Karala, India. 521 p.
- Bhadauria S., Pahari G.K. and Sudhirkumar. (2000). Effect of Azospirillum biofertilizer on seedling growth and seed germination of Emblica officinalis. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 5(2): 177-179.
- Brahmaprakash G.P. and Sahu P.K. (2012). Biofertilizers for sustainability. J. Ind. Inst. Sci., 92(1): 37-62.
- Chacko K.C., Pandalai R.C., Seethalakshmi K.K., Mohanan C, Mathew G. and Sasidharan N. (2002). Manual of seeds of forest trees, bamboos and rattans. Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Kerala. pp. 112-113.
- Chakravarty P. and Mishra R.R. (1986). The influence of VA-mycorrhizal on the wilting of Albizia procera and Dalbergia sissoo. European J. Forest Pathol., 16(2): 91-97.
- Dash S. and Gupta N. (2011). Microbial bioinoculants and their role in plant growth and development. Int. J. Biotechnol. Molecular Biol. Res., 2(13): 232-251.
- Dehne H.W. (1982). Interactions between vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and plant pathogens. Phytopathol., 72: 1115-1119.
- Dowling D.N. and O'Gara F. (1994). Metabolism of pseudomonas involved in biocontrol of plant diseases. Tibtech, 12: 133-141.
- Durvey M.L. and Landis T.D. (1984). Forest nursery manual – Production of bare root seedlings. Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Pub., The Hague, Netherlands.
- Enebak S.A., Wei G. and Kloepper J.W. (1998). Effects of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria on Loblolly and Slash Pine seedlings. Forest Science. 44(1): 139-144.
- Grove T.S. and Le Tacon F. (1993). Mycorrhizae in plantation forestry. Adv. Plant Pathol., 8: 191-227.
- Jackson M.L. (1973). Soil chemical analysis, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey. 498 p.
- Kaushik J.C. and Mandal B.S. (1991). Suppressive effect of VAM on root pathogens of Acacia nilotica (L.) De. Indian J. Mycol. Pl. Pathol., 25: 9697.
- Kaushik J.C., Dabas P. and Kumar R. (2000). Impact of Glomus mosseae inoculation on root pathogens in Acacia nilotica and Dalbergia sissoo seedlings. Ind. J. For., 23(3): 238-240.
- Lindsay W.L. and Norvell W.A. (1978). Development of DTPA soil test for zinc, iron, manganese and copper. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 42: 421-428.
- Mafia R.G., Alfenas A.C., Ferreira E.M., Binoti D.H.B., Mafia G.M.V. and Mounteer A.H. (2009). Root colonization and interaction among growth promoting rhizobacteria isolates and Eucalyptus species. R. Arvore, Vicosa-MG. 33(1): 1-9.
- Mehrotra M.D. (1990). Rhizoctonia solani, a potentially dangerous pathogen of Khasi pine and hard woods in forest nurseries in India. Eur. J. For. Pathol., 20: 329-338.
- Mohan V. and Manokaran P. (2001). Disease problems of Casuarina species and their management. pp. 171-176: In: Casuarina improvement and utilization. Gurumurthi, K. Nicodemus, A and Siddappa. (Eds.). IFGTB, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Mohan V. and Verma N. (1996). Interaction of VA-mycorrhizal fungi with rhizosphere and rhizoplane mycoflora of forest tree species in arid and semi-arid regions. pp. 222-231: In: Impact of diseases and insect pests in tropical forests. Nair K.S.S., Sharma J.K. and Varma R.V. (Eds.). Proc. IUFRO Symp. 23-26 November, 1993. Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Karala, India. 521 p.
- Mohan V., Narayanan C. and Manokaran P. (2002). Lasiodiplodia collar-rot disease on Casuarina junghuhniana Miq. – A new record. Indian Forester, 128: 1045-1046.
- Mohanan C. (1999). Status of forest nursery diseases in India and emerging trends in seedling disease management. pp. 31-32. In: Diseases th and insects in forest nurseries. Lilja A. and Sutherland J. (Eds.). Abstracts of the 4th Meeting of IUFRO Working Party 7.03.04. Suonenjoki Research Station in Finland, July 25-28, 1999.
- Mohanan C. and Sharma J.K. (1993). Diseases of Casuarina equisetifolia in India. Commonwealth For. Rev., 72: 48-52.
- O' Sullivan D.J. and O' Gara F. (1992). Traits of fluorescent Pseudomonas spp. involved in suppression of plants root pathogens. Microbiol. Rev., 56: 662-676.
- Powell C.I. and Daniel J. (1978). Growth of white clover in undisturbed soils after inoculation with efficient mycorrhizal fungi. N. Z. J. Agric. Res., 21: 675-681.
- Sankaram A. (1966). A laboratory manual for agricultural chemistry. Asia Publishing House. 340 p.
- Sankaran K.V., Balasundaran M. and Sharma J.K. (1986). Seedling diseases of Azadirachta indica in Kerala, India. Eur. J. For. Pathol., 16: 324378.
- Sharma J.K., Mohanan C. and Florence E.J.M. (1985). Disease survey in nurseries and plantations of forest tree species grown in Kerala. KFRI Research Report., 36: 83-97.
- Shivanna M.B. (2003). Fungal diseases in forest nurseries in Shimoga district, Karnataka, India. pp. 27-30. In: Proceedings of the 5th Meeting of IUFRO Working Party S7.03.04, Lilja A., Sutherland J.R., Poteri M.and Mohanan C. (Eds.). Peechi, Kerala, India, May 6–8, 2003.
- Shukla A.N., Singh Y.P. and Sharma R. (2007). Wilting in Dalbergia sissoo and use of antagonistic Pseudomonas fluorescens in its control. Ind. J. For., 30(4): 409-413.
- Shukla A.N. and Gupta H.K. (2009). Screening effective strain of Pseudomonas fluorescens against Fusarium solani causing wilt in Dalbergia sissoo Roxb. Ind. J. For., 32(2): 269-271.
- Singh Y., Verma R.K. and Jamaluddin. (2003). Combination of biocontrol agents, organic matter and biofertilizers to suppress Fusarium wilt and improve growth of Gmelina arborea seedlings. Indian J. Trop. Biodiv., 11: 74-84.
- Singh N., Pandey P., Dubey R.C. and Maheshwari D.K. (2008). Biological control of root rot fungus Macrophomina and growth enhancement of Pinus roxburghiiby rhizosphere competent Bacillus subtilisBN1. World J. Microbiol. Biotech., 24(9): 1669-1679.
- Singh S.K., Pancholy A., Jindal S.K. and Pathak R. (2011). Effect of plant growth promoting rhizobia on seed germination and seedling traits in Acacia senegal. Ann. For. Res. 54(2): 161-169.
- Subba Rao N.S. (1988). Biofertilizers in agriculture. 2nd edition. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co.Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. 208 p.
- Subba Rao N.S. (1993). Biofertilizers in agriculture and forestry, 3rd edition. Oxford & IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, India. 242 p.
- Subba Rao N.S. (1995). Soil microorganisms and plant growth. Oxford and IBH, Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. 335 p.
- Tabin T., Arunachalam A., Shrivastava K. and Arunachalam K. (2009). Effect of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on damping-off disease in Aquilaria agallocha Roxb. seedlings. Tropical Ecol., 50(2): 243-248.
- Verma R.K., Jamaluddin, Dadwal V.S. and Thakur A.K. (2008). Economics of biofertilizer application on the production of planting propagules of teak in a commercial nursery. Indian Forester, 134(7): 923-931.
- Vijayakumari B. and Janardhanan K. (2003). Effect of bio-fertilizers on seed germination, seedling growth and biochemical changes in silk cotton [Ceiba pentandra (Linn.) Gaertn.]. Crop Res., 25(2): 328-332.
- Zambrano J.A. and Diaz L.A. (2008). Response of Gmelina arborea to Glomus sp. and Azospirillum brasilense inoculation in greenhouse conditions. Universitas Scientiarum, 13(2): 162-170.
- There are currently no refbacks.