Total views : 328
Subscription or Fee Access
Estimation of Genetic Parameters among Intra and Interspecific Progenies of Tree Willows
In the present investigation seed and nursery parameters were analyzed to determine relative performance of nine hybrids of tree willows. Analysis of variance for different nursery growth traits of the important crosses revealed significant variations among full-sib families. Germination percentage showed the widest range of values (33.40-85.00%, mean 60.84%) whereas internodal length recorded the narrowest range (0.78-2.84 cm mean 1.72 cm). Plant height exhibited the maximum (291.21%) genotypic coefficient of variation while the minimum was noticed for internodal length (39.95%). Maximum phenotypic coefficient of variation (291.52%) was exhibited by number of leaves while the minimum (40.58%) was estimated for internodal length. Heritability percentage (broad-sense) was maximum in plant height (99.79%) whereas, minimum was recorded by number of leaves (87.73%). Germination percentage had the maximum genetic advance (40.86) while the minimum genetic advance was exhibited for internodal length (1.06). Maximum genetic gain was observed in plant height (114.3%) while the minimum was recorded in leaf area (57.56%). Collar diameter was found significantly positive correlated with germination percentage and survival percentage at both genotypic (0.847 and 0.868) and phenotypic (0.838 and 0.861) levels respectively. Cross Salix. matsudana (PN-227) x S. matsudana (PN-722) exhibited maximum magnitude of heterosis for survival percentage, plant height, leaf area, number of leaves and internodal length.
Genetic Parameters, Intra and Interspecific Progenies, Salix spp., Hybridizaton.
- Argus G. W. (1974). An experimental study of hybridization and pollination in Salix (Willow). Canadian J. Botany, 52(7): 1613-1619
- Bailian Li, Howe G.T. and Wu R. (1998). Developmental factors responsible for heterosis in aspen hybrids (Populus tremuloides x P. tremula). Tree Physiology ,18: 29-36
- Ball J., Carle J. and Del Lungo A. (2005). Contribution of poplars and willows to sustainable forestry and rural development. Unasylva, 221:3–9
- Burton G.W. and De Vane E.W. (1953). Estimating heritability in tall Fescue (Festuca aruandinacea) from replicated clonal material. Agronomy Journal, 1: 78-81
- Choudhary P., Singh N.B., Verma A. and Sharma J.P. (2013). Crossability relationship among tree willows (salix spp.) and molecular genetic variation among their progenies. Ind. J. Genetics and Plant Breeding, 73(3): 302-309
- Dongsen H., Xiangyu Z. and Ruiling W. (1992). Crossbreeding of Populus deltoides cv LUX x P. deltoides cv Harvard and the new cultivar. Proc: th 19 session of International Poplar Commission. Zaragoza, 22-25(IX):423-430
- Hathaway R.L. and Kraayenoord V. (1979). Short rotation biomass production of willows in New Zealand. International Energy Meeting. Belgium, 1979.
- Johnson H.W., Robinson H.F. and Comstock R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybeans. Agronomy Journal, 47: 314-318
- Kadam S.K. (2002). Evaluation of full-sib progenies of selected clones of Poplar (Populus deltoids Bartr.) Ph.D Thesis. Forest research Institute. Dehradun.
- Keoleian G.A. and Volk T.A. (2005). Renewable energy from willow biomass crops: life cycle energy, environmental and economic performance. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci., 24: 385–406
- Kopp R.F., Smart L.B., Maynard C.A., Tuskan G.A. and Abrahamson L.P. (2001). The development of improved willow clones for eastern North America. Forestry Chronicle, 77(2): 287-292
- Krstinic A. and Vidakovic M. (1988). Problems of verification of additive and non additive effects of genes for vigorous growth in forest trees. Annales Forestales, 14(1): 1-12
- Li B. and Wu R. (1997). Heterosis and genotype x environment interactions of juvenile aspen into contrasting sites. Can J. For. Res., 27: 15251537
- Lin J.N. and Zsuffa L. (1993). Quantitative genetic parameters for seven characters in a clonal test of Salix eriocephala. Silveae Genetica, 42(1): 41-45
- Lush J.C. (1940). Intersire correlation and regression of offspring on damsana method of estimating heritability character. Proceedings of Amercian Society on Animal Production, 33: 293-301
- Moll C.J. and Robinson H.F. (1959). Plieotrophism and the genetic variance and covariances. Biometrics, 15:518-537
- Ozel H.A., Ertekin M. and Tunçtaner K. (2010). Genetic variation in growth traits and morphological characteristics of eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr.) hybrids at nursery stage. Scientific Research and Essays, 5(9): 962-969
- Pan M., Zhongyu Tu., Baosong W. and Qun G. (2004). Willow genetic improvement in China. Paper presented at 22nd session of Int. Poplar Comm. Santiago,41p
- Panse V.G. and Sukhatme P.V. (1967). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR, New Delhi 610 p.
- Pichot C.E. and Teissier C. (1988). Estimation of genetic parameters in the European black poplar (Populus nigra L.). Consequence on the breeding strategy. Ann. Sci. For., 46(3): 307-324
- Pichot C.E. and Teissier C. (1989). Estimation of genetic parameters in the eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoids Bartr.). Consequence on the breeding strategy. Ann. Sci. For., 45(3): 223-238
- Pillai S.K. and Sinha H.C. (1968). Statistical Methods for Biological Workers. ICAR, New Delhi 610 p.
- Rajora O.P., Jsuffa L. and Yeh F.C. (1994). Variation inheritance and correlation of growth characters in of melampsora leaf rust resistance in full sib families of Populus. Silvae Genet., 43(4): 219-226
- Ronnberg A.C. and Gulberg U. (1999). Genetics of breeding characters with possible effects on biomass production in Salix viminalis (L.). Theor. Appl. Genet., 98: 531-540
- Saini B.C., Singh R.V. and Sharma P. (2002). Effect of stem cutting diameter on growth and survival of Salix clones in nursery under shallow water conditions. Indian J. Forestry, 25(3-4): 411-414
- Singh N.B. and Huse (2004). Improvement of tree willows in India, p. 48. Proc. 22nd Session of the Int. Poplar Comm. FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Singh N.B. and Singh K. (2004) Heterosis for growth traits in intra-specific hybrids of poplar (Populus deltoids Bartr.). In: Proc: Int. Poplar Comm. FAO. Santiago Chile p47
- Singh N.B., Kumar D., Gupta R.K., Pundir I. and Tomar A. (2002). Intraspecific and interspecific hybridisation in poplars for production of new clones. Envis. Forestry Bulletin 2(2): 9-16
- Sinha A.R. and Sharma R.C. (2002). Suitability and growth pattern of Salix in Himalayan foothills. Indian Forester, 128(3): 355-357
- Smart L.B., Volk T.A., Lon J., Kopp R.F., Phillips I.S., Cameron K.D., White E.H. and Abrehamson L.P. (2005). Genetic improvement of shrub willow (Salix spp) crops for bioenergy and environment applications in the United States. Unasylva, 56(221): 51-55
- Sophie Y.D., Nicolas M., Maurizio S., Reinhart C. and Catherine B. (2009). Relationships among productivity determinants in two hybrid poplar families grown during three years at two contrasting sites. Tree Physiology, 29: 975–987
- Stettler R.F., Zsuffa L. and Wu R. (1996). The role of hybridization in genetic manipulation. In: Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. (R. F. Stettler et al., Eds.) 87-112, WRC press, Ottawa, Canada.
- White T.L., Adams W.T. and Neale D.B. (2007). Forest genetics. CABI. 680p
- Wu-R.L. (2000). Quantitative genetic variation of leaf size and shape in a mixd diploid and triploid population of Populus. Gen. Res., 75(2): 215222
- Zhongyo Tu (1987). The selection and utilization of four arbor excellent clones. J. Jiangsu Forestry Science and Tech., 3:1-23
- Zhongyu T.U. and Mingjin P. (1992). Thye progress and achievement of willow breeding in China. Proc: Int. Poplar Comm. Proc: 19th session of International Poplar Commission. Zaragoza, 22-25(IX):461-475
- Zsuffa L. Mosseler A. and Raj Y. (1984). Prospects for interspecific hybridization in willows for biomass production. In: Perttu, K. (Ed.). Ecology and management of forest biomass production systems. Dept. Ecol & Env. Res., Swed. Univ. Agri. Sci. Rep., 15: 261-281
- There are currently no refbacks.